Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Posted by Erin Posted on 3:58 PM | No comments

Becoming a Book Reviewer

I just read "Chazown" by Craig Groeschel and I thought I would share my thoughts on it.

First of all, this is the full title: "Chazown: Define Your Vision. Pursue Your Passion. Live Your Life on Purpose." And here is the description on Amazon.com:
"You’re invited on a most unusual odyssey—to find, name, and live out your personal Chazown. It’s a journey you’ll never forget because it’s impossible to return unchanged.
Practical, fresh, and biblically sound, Chazown is a one-of-a-kind life planning experience... Craig Groeschel will help you get under the surface of your life to discover your life purpose in three often overlooked areas: your core values, your spiritual gifts, and your past experiences. He’ll help you turn it into a highly motivating credo—complete with short-term goals, action steps, and a supportive network to make your big dream a reality.
Are you living someone else’s dream for your life, or no dream at all? Get ready for Chazown."



We have all asked what we are here for. What is my purpose? And let's be honest. There are a thousand books about finding your purpose, about discovering what God has placed in you. So, on it's own, the book is nothing new. Groeschel offers some pretty straightforward thoughts on realizing your core values, spiritual gifts, and personal history and how those things shape your purpose. There was never a point in reading that I thought, "Oh man! I needed to hear that." Actually, most of the time I was thinking, "I already know that."

However, the book also points to an online resource where Groeschel not only talks you through the importance of each step but invites you to work through the steps to identify the aforementioned things in you. It is easy to breeze through it, to not think about it, and just to check it off. I was tempted to do just that. But, if you take the time to really pray through it and wait on the Lord during the process, I believe that you could actually end with a true vision statement for your life. For me, it confirmed some things in me that I had begun to doubt. Now, if only the book could help me find a job that allows me to put that vision to use fulltime. Because a vision and a mission statement are different. So don't expect to finish this book knowing what your next big move in life will be. But you should expect to have the Lord give you a clear vision. Just know, it will take work. You can't just read a book and have an answer.
Categories:

0 comments: